Wednesday, July 7, 2010

gluten free damper recipe

I've been making this very simple bread substitue for lunches the last few weeks... it's so easy, no extended kneading, no yeast, no waiting for it to rise... just mix, a quick knead and shape and into the oven for half hour and yummo, fresh bread! And for someone with gluten intolerance, let me tell you - this is heaven!


This quantity makes a medium sized damper - I shape mine into a kind of french stick shape to make it quicker to cook through. Just multiply the quantities for a larger loaf, but be aware that it is best eaten fresh from the oven. Without preservatives it tends to go rock hard pretty quickly!

Basic Damper Recipe
* 1 cup of gluten free raising flour (but again I use plain and 1 tsp of baking powder per cup)
* 1  extra tsp of GF baking powder
* 1/2 cup milk (I use lactose free milk - you could even use water if you like)
* 1tbs honey or golden syrup
* pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and pour out onto floured surface (or non-stick kneading mat, this is what I use - it's sensational) Simply knead for a couple of minutes until mix comes together and then shape into  desired shape. Brush with extra milk or melted butter and place on paper lined tray and bake for around 30 minutes until brown.

ready to go in oven...


and out of the oven (cut in half)... yum. yep I know it's pretty 'doughy' looking, which it is, that's the disadvantage of gluten free baking... without the gluten things can get pretty heavy. but in my opinion, it's better than nothing and I've really been enjoying have some preservative free bread on which to spread some honey! ENJOY!


Recipe adapted from 4 Ingredients Gluten Free by Kim McCosker & Rachael Bermingham

6 comments:

  1. mm thank you! I'm going to try this tomorrow! I love how Google take you to blogs as well as sites ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this recipe today, thanks. Only problem I have is I'm diabetic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I am going to have to try this. I lurve Dampa but haven't had it in soooo long and now my son (who has Coeliac disease) can try too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, I have a question for you, having a 4 year old sister and a mother who are fructose intolerant, GF stuff is awesome. Now Honey is a no-no (Apparently flowers have fructose) and I'd like to make this recipie, can you recommend any substitutes for it and the golden syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rice malt syrup is worth looking into. Extremely low GI, tastes great and is fairly cheap

      Delete
  5. Connor, try some Dextrose powder maybe? It's glucose so no probs for fructose intolerances

    ReplyDelete