I entered this cake into the Royal Darwin Show this week and found out today I won first prize! $30 cash prize :) You have to try it even if you are not gluten intolerant - it's delicious!!
I apologise that I forgot to take photos this time as I was making but I'm sure I'll make it again soon, lol!
straight out of the oven...
and ready to deliver to the show...
Lemon & Lime Walnut Cake
gluten free, dairy free
A rich & moist, naturally gluten free cake, delicious topped with a simple white icing made flavoured with the juice from the citrus fruit.
4 eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar
4 cups of ground walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 150C. Grease and line with baking paper a 20cm round tin, and set aside.
2. Using an electric beater, beat the egg yolks and the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Grate the rind of the lemon and most of the rind of the lime (to taste) into the egg mixture and stir.
4. In a clean separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold about half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, then add the walnuts and stir until combined. Fold the remaining egg whites into the mixture carefully.
5. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until firm and golden in colour. Allow to cool in tin for 30 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
Please let me know what you think!